Technology use has brought many benefits and even improved our lives. It helps save us time and money. With tech support, we can even manage to lower our budget costs (we don’t go to the bank, we use e-banking and pay our bills and taxes online, and we use cards instead of cash).
Technology has made life easier for our families. We support technology by developing ethical and digital skills and appropriate knowledge.
Technology in our Kids’ Life
The impact of tech is spread in every aspect nowadays. Kids are blessed because, with the existence of tech, they can plan their future with the needed information and education.
We as parents need to persuade our kids to use tech properly, with purpose and targets. They can’t just surf the internet without proper cause and only use it for chatting or playing video games.
They must understand that tech is more than that meanless group of games and social media platforms.
Tech Usage Provides Easy and Fast Learning
I remember when we struggled to find information to study, searching in the books for hours and days (sometimes it was even hard to find the needed books and scripts). And papers flew everywhere.
Our kids can’t even imagine how to live and accomplish goals under those circumstances. They have the opportunity to be born and raised in a digitally developed world.
Learning has never been easier than nowadays. In schools, kids learn about tech usage and how to improve their skills. During education, kids can realize the benefits of tech usage.
They are not frustrated and angry when they face a problem because by simply typing in a search engine, they can find the solution that they need.
The Vast Variety of Educational Apps
Technology engages our kids to learn at home as well. According to age, there are a lot of interesting educational apps such as:
- Lego Duplo World which is suitable for preschool kids, develops our kids’ creativity, learning about animals and adventure with blocks and figurines.
- ABCMouse which stimulates reading, science, math, and drawing with the use of videos, puzzles, quizzes, and stories suitable for preschool kids.
- Hopscotch which is ideal for school kids as it provides IT learning such as coding, problem-solving, thinking, and logical skills.
- Khan Academy which is a free app for different ages that helps kids learn about economics, life skills, reading, math, computing, and arts.
- Duolingo which is a free app for teenagers to learn different languages;
Digital Media as a Tutorial Library
Our kids can watch videos on digital media and use them to develop their creativity and imagination. The Internet has a wealth of:
- Art tutorials for both newbies and experienced artists
- Tutorials for making crafts and presents for giving and selling;
- Singing and instrument tutorials;
- Knitting tutorials that develop creative skills and focus;
Tech improvement allows us to communicate abroad and save our family bonds. Our kids can virtually see and talk with their friends whenever they want (free of cost). The best video communication apps are:
- Zoom– a communication platform that supports video calling, conference meetings, and online classes;
- Google Meet– a social app for video calls and chatting;
- Messenger– a very used platform for video calls, chatting, and creating groups with friends.
The Modern World Demands Digital Skills
Our kids need to gain and develop digital skills so they can use tech effectively and productively.
By gaining digital literacy, they can improve themselves by thinking, analyzing, searching, problem-solving, and evaluating the results. Tech makes our kids strong, motivated, and competitive people.
Cons of Tech Usage
Our kids can overuse tech and get into serious trouble. Yet, we can’t blame devices for our kids’ habits that they developed through tech usage.
Playing video games, chatting on social media, and watching videos, occupy our kids’ brains and hands, and they lose track of time.
Physical and Mental Health Risks
As children sit in their favorite chair in front of their gaming computer, they lower their physical fitness and hygiene, and start demonstrating behavioral changes.
They live in their virtual world, isolated, socializing only with their screens.
The problem of over-tech usage can increase if our kids meet uninvited guests (cyberbullies, predators) online, have abnormal behavior, content, comments, and pictures, and become victims.
Getting addicted to tech usage affects all families. Kids change physically and mentally and need help. Children suffering from mental disorders, anxiety, depression, panic attack, and fear, should seek treatment.
As parents, we can’t allow our kids to “get sick” and hence must think of strategies to balance their tech usage.
Avoiding Tech Overusage
We know about the enormous impact that tech has on our life. Why do we want to waste that and get addictions? Awakened and alarmed parents must persuade their kids to use tech responsibly by:
- Encouraging outdoor and indoor activities can reduce screen time;
- Making family plans and activities that don’t include tech;
- Open communication and understanding of the possibilities of being hurt online;
- Being role models and being present in their kids’ life;
- Stimulating tech usage for improvement.
Being a parent is the most precious role. Our little ones are the center of our life, present and future. We can’t leave our kids to do whatever they want. We must guide them through their life and show them the path.
Technology is making our path easier to walk, go straight, and never choose a side path. We don’t want to be stuck in a tunnel without light.
Cherish the time with your kids and embrace the positive effects of tech usage.
What are some safe and educational technology options for children?
A lot of apps (free or paid) can help your kids with their education. But the best educational apps are Khan Academy, Lego Duplo World, Duolingo, ABCMouse. There are many more tech options you can explore just by a quick search on your search engine.
How can technology be used to enhance a child’s learning and education?
Using devices for learning, searching, and even drawing with your children can improve their respect for productive tech usage. School teachers can also help to guide kids in proper tech usage. The benefits are great because tech offers quick access to information.
What are the risks of over-exposure to technology for children?
Our kids can ruin their health (physically and mentally, and gain addiction) and become victims of cyberbullies and predators.
How can parents model healthy technology habits for their children?
By balancing productive screen usage with recreational usage of our devices. Point out the pros and cons tech has, and guide your children into creating healthy tech habits from a young age.